Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Slightly disillusioned

Bummer!

I was just listening to the motivational CD that came with the bible based weight loss kit. The first motivational topic was mental health. Near the beginning, the speaker said that the world addresses mental health with counseling and medication, implying that is not the right thing to do. She then proceeded to talk about how the Bible addresses mental health: be thankful, the joy of the Lord is your strength...

Now, I believe all these things that were mentioned are good things, and they do come right out of the Bible. If a person is mentally healthy, then these things should work, if they have their faith in the Lord. However, I don't believe the Bible addresses mental illness any more than it addresses cancer. Illness is illness. You can't fix it with Scripture.

It is like people forget that the brain is an organ. It is biological and chemical. Sometimes it gets sick. Sometimes it can have a life long illness. That does not mean weak faith or sin. It just means illness.

I don't know what to make of this Bible study now. I guess I could overlook this particular teaching they have. I know the truth for my own life. I guess I need to stay on my toes to make sure I'm not influenced to change my treatment based on the opinions of people who are not mental health professionals.

1 comment:

Alise said...

You said a mouthful at the end there. Know that I'm praying for you through all of this. Dealing with folks who want to condemn you for being depressed is no fun. ~A